Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

A Scarring Interview

This post has been in my draft for so long (it's almost 2 years haha) but I still feel like publishing it since I already wrote it anyway. 

I had an interview last week and it went too terribly that it really scars me. I have to write this feeling off before it makes me go even crazier. I mean, the scene of the interview flashed so many times in my head and make me recall how bad the interview went.

I read about things on the post I applied for a week before the interview because the post is not related to my major at all. But I only studied the basic and surface of the post (1st Fault).

The interview was in KL and (supposedly) start at 9.00 a.m. and because I'm too lazy to find anywhere to crash, I decided to just take a 5.00 a.m. ETS from Ipoh. The night before I already prepare things like certs and etc, well you know, basic things to bring for an interview. But I didn't print my updated CV because the photocopy place computer break down so they don't offer printing at that time. Because I know there's a printing shop at KL Sentral, I just brushed it off and plan to print the next day before I go to the company (2nd Fault)

The day of the interview, I wake up later than I plan making me super rushed to get ready. Luckily, I've prepared my cloth the day before I manage to get to the train station in time. The train ride was smooth no problem and my heart was (not quite) at ease. I read a little bit more in the train too.

I arrived at KL Sentral at around 7.30 a.m.. According to my actual plan, I have ample time to go to the company in time for the interview. Things happen and the printing shop that I usually go to opens at 9.00 am.. I was having a mental breakdown that time. A total mental breakdown to the point I just take a sit first at one of the bench and try to think of my next step. I can't possibly wait for that shop to open because the interview is at 9.00 a.m. but I can't also go without my CV because I need that bloody thing for the interview.

After contemplating, I started to google "What should you do if you're late to an interview?"  Go to this article if you somehow end up going to be late to your interview like me http://www.fish4.co.uk/career-advice/youre-late-interview/ .  

"On the one hand, if you’re certain you’re only going to be a few minutes late then emailing ahead is only going to draw attention to something that the interviewer may not have noticed otherwise. On the other hand, turning up late to an interview with no prior warning or excuse suggests to the interviewer that you are unorganised and have poor time management skills."

This is an important point in the article. I ponder upon it so many times in the little time I got. Fortunately, there's another shop that open at 8.20 a.m. that offer printing and I didn't call in to inform anything. So in the end, I managed to get my CV printed. And I was like 10 minutes like, if I remember correctly. But when I arrived people are just getting started with their work so it's actually okay. In the end, I still have to wait for quite a while before the interviewer is ready. Lol.

Oh, another thing, if you attach along your personal statements with whatever documents you bring, do remember what the hell you wrote in it. I attached it and was eventually asked about it and I was like.. "Hmmmm". Oh the endless stutter. 


Another interview experience:
If you are a fresh graduate, consider revising about your final year project before coming to interview. Especially if you are applying for a job that's closely related to your major. I was asked about my final year project and let's just say, the name of fossil just disappear from my memory and I can't recall it when I was asked haha. And the panel were the most interested in that. I am....


I still remember this interview very vividly. Oh the shame that I felt back then. Haha. But anyway, it became a very good experience for me.

No comments: